Thursday, June 2, 2011

E34 auxillary fan not working?

My e34 520i seems to be overheating slightly, the heat gauge is showing slightly above half.I checked the belts and the front belt, i am assuming it is the aircon belt is loose.I also noticed that the auxillary fan is not working.Can this be my problem? I also need to change my radiator as one fin is leaking , the tiniest hole.There is still plenty of coolant in the expansion tank.Does anyone have pics of how to remove radiator?E34 auxillary fan not working?
this could be several things. The E32/E34 share a couple of similar things so I'll base my answer off my E32.



You should check your fuses for the fans.

Then check the coolant temp switch (mounted in the passenger's side of the radiator.) There is a way to short the pins to see if the fan will kick in.



If that doesn't work, there is a relay above the driver's side fender.



Still no go? I would check the Aux fan resistor