Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why is my 94 civic running hot? And how do I test a radiator fan motor? Someone please help!!!?

I have a 94 honda civic dx. I went to myrtle beach about a month ago and on the way home my car overheated. I changed the radiator/radiator cap/reservoir cap because my friend who sold me the car told me it needed to be replaced. The car still over heats. I read the Mechanic manual for my car and it says it shouldn't be my thermostat if my hoses are warm/hot, and my hoses are hot. Its like when I drive the car, the car heats up to normal temperature normally and then the anti-freeze evaporates or something... The ant-freeze doesn't stay in the reservoir. I checked and the coolant isn't leaking... it just disappears, I don't know what to do anymore. The only option I can think of is the fan, because I have never (I mean never) heard the fan come on the whole time I have owned the car (about a year now). But then again I have never heard the fan come on and I don't understand why it would cause the car to overheat if it wasn't working before. I'm frustrated and considering selling it, but I love the car because I have plans to fix it up. Can anyone give me a resolution? Also can someone tell me how to test the radiator fan battery? My manual says to connect my car battery to the fan motor...I don't have any idea how to connect that without killing myself. If you have pictures or a website link I would deeply appreciate it.Why is my 94 civic running hot? And how do I test a radiator fan motor? Someone please help!!!?
You can't electrocute yourself with a car battery so don't even worry about it. The fan motor has a connector with two wires connect one to positive connect one to negative...see if it turns...easy.



But if you said you are losing coolant and you are not leaking it out that would indicate a more serious problem such as a head gasket (rare on a Honda) do you see white smoke out of your tailpipe when you drive?Why is my 94 civic running hot? And how do I test a radiator fan motor? Someone please help!!!?
Try www.hondatuningmagazine.com, some good how to's and editorials, and some great articles for when you're ready to customize.Why is my 94 civic running hot? And how do I test a radiator fan motor? Someone please help!!!?
My friend when your car overheats there are a few checks that you should carry out. First you should check your thermostat if it works then check your water pump to see whether it circulates the water. In your case your car has a fan switch which is located in the hose outlet and when the car reaches certain temperature the switch comes on and starts the fan and cools the engine. The person who advised you to connect the fan to the battery is only checking whether the fan works and in that case your fan is O.K. but you should change the fan switch if it works on direct battery. You should also check whether your radiator is clogged and this is a very easy to test.
  • horses
  • rodents
  •