Thursday, September 22, 2011

2001 Kia Sportage Compressor Belt Replacement?

So I noticed the belt leading to the compressor on my car was missing, which would explain why my AC doesn't work. I went to the local auto shop and they said the belt would cost about $15. I also went to a repair shop and they gave a $117 estimate to do it for me. That is currently out of the question because I'm nearly broke as it is. So now my question is, is this an easy %26quot;Do It Yourself%26quot; job?



I've never really done any work on my car aside from flushing the radiator and changing the oil, so I'm pretty new at mechanics. Is there a guide anywhere that could show me how to do it? Or would it be too hard for a novice to do?2001 Kia Sportage Compressor Belt Replacement?
If you have a basic mechanical aptitude it shouldn't be a big deal to install. One thing to consider: If you bought the vehicle with the A/C not working, the belt may have been removed due to a seized compressor. To find out if this is the case with the engine off and a/c switches off, attempt to turn the pulley on the compressor. It should spin freely. Now try to spin the inner part of the pulley. It should be very difficult but possible. If both of those situations line up then you should be ok to install the belt.
  • healthy hair
  • lock file
  •