Thursday, September 22, 2011

No heat in Mitsubishi 2002 Galant ES?

When i first bought my Galant last year, my heat was working perfectly. Then one day, all of a sudden, i went to turn it from 'cold' to 'hot' and i heard a loud/rapid clicking noise from behind the dashboard. It lasted for about 5-6 seconds and then stopped. Afterwards, I had no heat. The next morning, I constantly went back and forth between hot and cold and i got some heat back. But then the noise came a few days later and the heat was gone for good. I tried a lot of things to restore heat to my car. I flushed my anti-freeze first, then I ended up changing out the radiator (because in the summer, my car overheated repeatedly, and when I used my A/C, the passenger side floor would be flooded with water.). I found that the coolant inside my radiator looked like mud! There was no flow of coolant to my engine at all, as it was being evaporated inside the radiator. The hoses were all blocked with this brown, muddy texture substance. After a complete replacement was done, we changed the fluids and hoped and prayed for heat. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. We figured that the muddy coolant had clogged some vital parts so we continued to investigate. My dad (a mechanic) suspected the waterpump to be bad and maybe that was causing the problem. So, just recently, we replaced the water pump and we were right about the water pump being bad, but even that didn't solve the lack of heat problem.

I researched the internet and found numerous discussion board posts staying, %26quot;The heater core is bad%26quot; or %26quot;the heater control valve is bad%26quot;. I was trying to avoid ripping apart my dashboard but my dad feels that the muddy-coolant substance may have clogged the heater core and it needs to be replaced or unclogged, and I'm about two weeks away from ripping my dash apart.



Has anyone had a similar issue? And if so, what did you do about it?

For those who took your vehicle to the dealer, how much did they charge? How much is a factory grade heater core for my vehicle?

Your insight is very much appreciated, in advance.

ThanksNo heat in Mitsubishi 2002 Galant ES?
sounds like the heater core its not under your dash its under your hood back by the firewall either that or your thermostat ive had to replace both of these its a fun lil job but its worth it