Thursday, September 22, 2011

How to do a coolant flush on a 2001 Nissan Altima?

I'm going to be changing my lower radiator belt and bypass belt on my 2001 Nissan Altima. I understand that it is probably best to go ahead and do a radiator coolant flush as well. Was wondering if anyone could help me out with what all I'm going to need in order to do that and a brief overview of what its going to entail. I just gave my mechanic $120 to change some belts, so I'm not turning around and giving her more money for something I feel my dad and I can handle. Thanks in advance for your answers.How to do a coolant flush on a 2001 Nissan Altima?
Hi, I had my coolant changed at my dealer for about $39.00.I though this was a fair price for what had to be done on the job.Also Nissan sends me discounts on some of things that have to be done to your car. Once you use your dealer you probably will start getting them.Good Luck.How to do a coolant flush on a 2001 Nissan Altima?
You MUST use ONLY genuine Nissan COOLANT in this car!!!! You cannot mix any other kind with it, just distilled water. Every car-maker has their OWN coolant, for a good reason. You don't need a power flush in this car unless the wrong fluid was mixed with the factory fluid. You can drain the block and the radiator. READ your manual, it has details. ANy other coolant will eat holes in your engine's head over time. TRUST ME, I've rebuilt plenty. Collect the old coolant and return it to a quicky lube. Or, bring your own GENUINE Nissan coolant to a quicky lube, and let them drain and refill. Good Luck!!! Save $$$$$How to do a coolant flush on a 2001 Nissan Altima?
Do you mean lower radiator hose and thermostat bypass hose. If so you have to change the coolant.

1. Remove radiator cap

2. Open radiator drain cock, also sometimes called butterfly valve on the bottom corner of radiator, some are on the drivers side some on the passenger so check both. Let all the coolant drain out.

3. Remove and replace the hoses, be sure to put the clamps back on tight. recomended you use a little oil to lube up the hoses when you put them back on.

4. Remove the thermostat. replace the thermostat housing with a new gasket and no thermostsat.

5.Remove one end of the upper radiator hose and put a garden hose in it. Turn on the hose and leave it on untill clean water comes out the other end of the hose

6. Re-drain radiator as it will have the garden hos water in it

7. replace the thermostat preferably with a new one, put upper hose back on and tighten up

8. Fill radiator with new coolant to top, and fill overflow tank to the %26quot;full cold line%26quot;.

9. start car and check for leaks