Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Really Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?

Thank you for reading my post, i really need your help.



I have a 98 Chrysler Concorde LXI with 3.2 liter V6



I live in LA and is driving through NV UT towards Yellowstone. I had oil changed and radiator checked 3 days ago, and i drove 300 miles to Las Vegas yesterday without any problems.



But today, 200 miles into my journey, i started to hear this really constant knocking sound coming from under the hood. I stopped the car on the should of the freeway, and saw the oil pressure low warning light flashing (it might be on for a while but i didn't notice) After the car cooled down, i check the motor oil, radiator, they were all full. But when i try to start the car, it makes that loud metal knocking sound even in idle, the noise increases with the rpm.



I called AAA and had it towed to a repair/junk yard, the guy there took one look at it and said it was rod knock and the engine needs to be rebuilt. Meanwhile, my tech at LA told me it might be the timing belt/ gear, whcih could be replaced for $800, if it haven't destoryed the engine yet.



My car is worth no more than 3000-4000 thousand on the market and if i can't fix it i will have to junk it. A full inspection cost a lot here and might not be worth it, what could the problem be besides timing belt and rod knock? How can i confirm this myself (if i can).



I am now stuck in a hotel room in Cedar, as the car rental here don't do 1 way.......



Thank you for your helpReally Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
seriously bad karma - your bearings have given up the ghost, changing the oil and filter and filling the crankcase with 20w-50 Might and I repeat Might possibly generate enough oil pressure to allow you to limp your dying machine home... worth the relatively minor expense to try but NO guarantees! If it will maintain enough pressure to reduce the knocking to less than earth shaking levels then baby it home at the slowest speeds which you can legally travel...Really Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
Rod bearing most likely. Timing belt has nothing to do with oil pressureReally Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
If the low oil pressure light is on, that is the oil pump. The oil pump stop working, the top of the engine is not getting any oil. The knocking sound is the valve lifters.Really Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
Dude that sucks! I think it is a rod knock. The timing belt thing is possible I guess, but I don't see how you would get a low oil pressure warning from anything in that area. If you ask me, since it's already extremely damaged, you may want to just drive it back home and be willing to deal with it if it just finally dies on you. Keep it at 45 mph with no heavy loading. Light acceleration. If you have long hills, it's probably not going to make it up. Downhill is good! You may want to throw a whole lower mileage engine in there from a wrecked car. It can be done in a day or two if they know what they are doing.Really Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
Yes, I would say that you threw a rod. Your engine is pretty much junk now. I would not fix it if it was me. Time for a new car.

Avoid Chrysler, Buy a Ford or GM next time.Really Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
OO Very sorry to hear about this news. Not good!, Knocks are lower bearings as the gas station man told you, tics are top end noises lifters or valves, niether are good. -hit happens. it is Not the timeing chain! , YES YOU NEED A NEW OR REBUILT MOTOR. (big money).......... it sounds to me like your oil pump went bad and you have ruined your bearings because the oil dip stick says full, but your light in dash is saying no oil preasure, with out oil preasure your bearing soon overheat. even if you paid the man to drop the oil pan and put a new pump in, i think the damage has already been done. it's a pritty big job to put a motor in the car. cut your losses. find a friend, bus or train home. cheapest motor is a junkyard motor with no gaurenties and still big money to change it over. you could sell the car with a blown motor on craigslist in the auto parts section, and/or find your new car there too. best wishes take care steveReally Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
Look for a used engine in a salvage yard and have someone put it in, then trade it in as soon as possible.Really Loud Engine Knock w/ Oil Pressure Warning Light?
same thing happened to me when I had a 89 Chrysler new yorker, the oil gauge was low and loud knocking/ clicking sound, lasted for a month and the rod blew out.If you want to keep the car, you will definatly need your engine to be rebuilt or you can drive it into the ground like I did w/ mine then drive in the lowest gear possible to a gas station and have a junk yard pick it up, it sucks I know but its for sure the rod